The charges of domestic violence against Justin Roiland, who is also the co-creator of the science fiction series Rick and Morty and the voice of its two titular characters, led to his separation from Adult Swim. In Orange County, California, Roiland was charged with two felonies in 2020: one for false imprisonment by threat, assault, fraud, or deceit, and one for domestic battery with bodily injury.
A Strong Case
He entered a not guilty plea to these allegations, but in the summer of the same year, a protective order was filed against Roiland, requiring him to refrain from harassing, threatening, or surveilling the person named in the order. The order expires in October 2023, and in addition, he must surrender his firearms and keep a distance of 100 feet from the named individual. The Rick and Morty fans has been stunned by these developments, and Adult Swim has announced that co-creator Dan Harmon will serve as the only showrunner, while Roiland’s credits will still appear on the comedy, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
However, it is currently unknown what will happen to the remaining Roiland projects with Hulu and 20th Century Television. The roles of Rick and Morty will be recast. In a tweet from the official Rick and Morty Twitter account, it was said that “Adult Swim has ended its association with Justin Roiland. Rick and Morty will continue. The talented and dedicated crew are hard at work on Season 7.” It has also been said that there will be a total of 10 seasons for the iconic series.
“To be clear, not only is Justin innocent but we also have every expectation that this matter is on course to be dismissed once the district attorney’s office has completed its methodical review of the evidence.” Roiland was defended by Edward Welbourn in a statement from earlier this month. We of course, have to wait for a couple more announcements to find out what would happen to our beloved series moving forward. Here’s hoping for more awesome adventures with Rick and Morty!
For About $200 Million, Justin Bieber Has Just Sold His Whole Music Catalog
The whole music collection of Justin Bieber was auctioned for USD $200 million. According to Rolling Stone, the pop artist gave the Hipgnosis Songs Fund the rights to his songs. The sizable agreement covers 290 of his works that will be released by December 21, 2021. Therefore, the British investment and song management firm owns all of those beloved classics, such as “Baby,” “Love Me”, and even “Boyfriend”!
Leaving a Legacy
With this agreement, Hipgnosis has acquired a 100% interest in the publishing rights and the artist’s portion of the income from the 28-year-master old’s recordings, which are still owned by Universal Music Group. Additionally, they are entitled to neighboring rights, which apply to any public performances of his music. Following the announcement of the contract, Scooter Braun, Bieber’s longtime manager, said through CNN: “Justin is truly a once in a generation artist and that is reflected and acknowledged by the magnitude of this deal. For 15 years I have been grateful to witness this journey and today I am happy for all those involved. Justin’s greatness is just beginning.”
From a Business Perspective
Bieber joins a lengthy line of musicians, including Bruce Springsteen, Justin Timberlake, Motley Crue, Sting, and Red Hot Chili Peppers, who have lately sold their libraries. Bieber is the biggest musician traded for in his generation, surpassing Springsteen, whose catalog was sold for an estimated $550 million. If you have something that’s popular, everyone wants to get in on it, according to Cynthia Katz of the legal firm Fox Rothschild, which has handled infamous deals like the sale of Motley Crue to BMG.
Taylor Swift, meanwhile, has chosen a totally different path. In 2019, after Big Machine Records, unknowing to her, sold her masters to her adversary Scooter Braun, the singer fought valiantly to regain creative control, even re-recording six of her first studio albums. She admitted that she made an attempt to repurchase them before the agreement with Braun was signed. Of course, not every singer is in to doing all the same the others do, but there lies the greatness of it all as money is always a powerful tool. A strategic move for singers, but it would be up to them to handle it all and prove their business prowess too!
Sebastian Stan Says He’s Interested in Being Luke Skywalker One Day
Sebastian Stan, who is most known for playing Bucky Barnes, or the Winter Soldier, in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, has developed a bit of a reputation in recent years for being essentially a perfect clone of a young Luke Skywalker. When you compare the two side by side, their similarities are startling. Mark Hamill himself has chimed in on the topic in the past, suggesting that Stan could easily be his kid.
What Could Be
So it seems sense that there has been constant pressure for Stan to portray a young Luke Skywalker at some time in the future. Face swaps, alterations, and fan art abound, making it obvious that the actor is well aware of how much the fans want to see him in the part. The higher-ups at Disney must have have seen the demand by this point, and fans have been really keen on showing the many possibilities on what can happen.
All The Possibilities
It was brought up in a recent interview with Esquire whether or not we may ever see our dreams come true, and he is technically not saying no: “Look, it’s really kind. Never say never. Mark Hamill is my father, you know, and he knows that, and I call him every Christmas to tell him, ‘just want you to know I’m around,’” he stated.
Thanks to technology, Hamill was still able to appear in The Mandalorian as a younger version of Skywalker, but there’s only so much that can be done without it seeming completely ludicrous, so it’s by no means a long-term fix. We’ll have to keep to the face swaps for the time being since there are obviously no current formal intentions to cast Stan in the part, or at least none that can be disclosed at this point.
This isn’t the first time Stan has responded to the demand; in a Good Morning America interview from last March, given to promote The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, he was asked if it was possible that the request would be granted. He replied, “If Mark Hamill calls me personally to tell me that he feels inclined to share this role with me then I’ll believe it,” when asked if it was possible.
Usain Bolt Gets Scammed and Ends Up Losing Almost $12 Million
Usain Bolt’s attorneys claim that the Olympic champion lost about $12 million from an account that was supposed to help him pay for his retirement. The 36-year-old had deposited the cash in a Stocks and Securities Ltd. account in Kingston, but on January 18, his attorney asserted that only approximately $12,000 remained of the millions that had been there. According to Linton P. Gordon, Bolt’s life savings were in the account, but since the money vanished, regulators have not gotten in touch with either him or Bolt.
A Huge Surprise
The day before Gordon revealed the money had vanished, the Jamaican Financial Services Commission announced that, in response to concerns of fraud claims, it had appointed its own temporary manager to the investment firm. A copy of the letter Gordon wrote Stocks & Securities Limited on January 16 demanding the money be returned within 10 days or the company will face civil and criminal action was made available to the Associated Press by Gordon.
Quite the Odd Occurrence
As the Jamaican Financial Services Commission continues to look into the company, Stocks & Securities Limited requests on its website that customers direct any questions to the commission. Earlier this month, Stocks & Securities Limited disclosed that it had learned of the alleged scam and stated that several of its clients may be missing millions of dollars. Nigel Clarke, the finance minister for Jamaica, noted that although the situation was concerning, it was also quite exceptional.
NIgel Clarke had then stated: “It is tempting to doubt our financial institutions, but I would ask that we don’t paint an entire hard working industry with the brush of a few very dishonest individuals.” While the Financial Services Commission conducts its investigation, the company is permitted to continue operations, but all transactions require government authorization. After setting world records in the 100-meter, 200-meter, and 4×100-meter relay events, Bolt ended his athletic career in 2017.